Rogaška Slatina Sprig was mentioned for the first time in the Charter of Conrad, the Salzburg Archbishop.
In Trebuša, Pohorje and Kozjansko areas, master glass-workers hand made crystal glass products.
Croatian ban Peter Zrinjski was one of the most powerful feudal lords of the then Europe. Zrinjski was miraculously healed and took care of bringing fame to the so-called Saint- cross mineral water.
Maribor doctor J.B. Gruendel wrote a monograph entitled Roitschocrene (Rogaška Spring), where he extensively described Rogaška water chemical properties and healing effects.
The greyish limestone statue of St. John of Nepomuk, patron of water, from the year 1732, was erected by Viennese pharmacists in 1782 at the Spa Park to express gratitude for acquiring concession for selling healing eater in 1772. The memorial is preserved in the Ana’s Palace Museum, and the replica is standing in the Spa Park.
The most important event in Rogaška Slatina history is the establishment of the Regional Spa resort under the leadership of Count Ferdinand Attems.
Count Attems brings the first doctor to Rogaška Slatina and, at the same time, the head of the health resort, Dr. Johann Fröhlich, which also saw the special baths of mineral water introduced, called “Stahlbader”.
In 1805, a spa resort chapel was built and dedicated to Saint Ana, the Spa saint protector.
The oldest building in Rogaška Slatina, built in the years 1805 and 1806, is the Old Directorate, which housed the management, including the head of the health resort and an apartment of the official doctor. It also included the Museum of Graphic Art, which received donations from a regular guest of the Rogaška Health Resort, Swiss guest Kurt Müller (graphics are available at the Ana’s Palace Museum).
The first Spa home (today Grand Hotel Rogaška) was built in distant 1813.
The Tempel Pavilion was built in 1819 and constructed in the area where the old Rogaška spring was active. It is without any doubt the most important and most beautiful building in the resort. In its place there once stood a simple shed on four wooden columns and a clumsy roof. The Tempel was constructed by the Trieste architect Nikola Pertsch.
While demolishing the Dietrich’s house in Rogaška Slatina, a built-in stone fragment was found with an inscription in Latin: AEGRIS IEHO CUNXI MURO. The marble stone with an inscription could originate from the Roman period.
Dr. Ernst Fröhlich, the son of the first mineral water doctor, wrote the first guide for Rogaška Slatina about 30 years after the Landstände of the Štajerska region bought back the buildings and land around the main mineral water spring with a plan to establish a land health resort.
The renowned Wandelbahn covered promenade was built in 1840, yet it is no longer there today as it was demolished in 1982. This was the second Classicism object with arcades and excellent paintings.
Built in 1859, since the first one was demolished due to the new spatial planning.
First fountain in front of the Rogaška Slatina Spa Resort Home.
The Austrian Emperor stayed in the then Strossmayer Hotel (today Grand Hotel Rogaska Strossmayer).
The renovated second Spa Resort Home today stands as the most representative building in Rogaška Slatina and is undoubtedly the health resort’s showpiece.
On February 11th, 1922, one of the most famous Slovenian youth writers, Ela Peroci, was born in Sveti Križ near Rogaška Slatina.
One of the largest glass producers in the world began its production. It employed most glass workers from Zagorje ob Savi.Rogaška Glassworks focused on the production of crystal glass and became famous throughout the world.
The new sports pool was designed by engineer Stanko Bloudek in 1935. He is also known for designing the Planica ski jump, among other things.
The famous round-shaped building, which complements Rogaška Slatina tourist offer, was built in 1967. Here you can try Donat Mg mineral water, its composition is still today the main reason why Rogaška Slatina has been a popular European health resort for centuries.
It used to be the center of Sotel and Kozjansko in the municipality of Šmarje pri Jelšah. After a good ten years of independence, in 2005 Rogaška Slatina obtained the status of city.
Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss the latest news about Rogaška Slatina.